Thursday, February 26, 2015

Scary Peeping Tom Experience

I've been reading a lot of stories about creepers on Reddit lately.  Always as I'm reading experiences I've had pop into my head and I want to share them.  I don't really want to set up an account with Reddit, so I decided that I would share my stories here.
One of the scariest creeper type stories I have is when I had a peeping tom.  I was 22 years old and living in an apartment with a friend from high school, Emily.  Emily and I had lost touch after high school and we just happened to run into each other at a time that both of us were in need of a place to live and a roommate.  So, we found and an apartment and became roomies.  Our apartment was on ground level and at the end of the apartment complex.  Directly in front of our apartment there was a row of storage units, blocking our view of the parking lot and whatever else there was to see.  So, the pathway to our front door was hidden behind this building.  That made me a little nervous, but I'm scared of everything, so I just dealt with it.  Anyway, I really liked where I was living and it was fun to get reacquainted with my friend Emily.  She had changed a lot since high school.  In high school, she was a good church going girl.  The new Emily didn't go to church and she worked at Hooters.  She was always trying to get me to get a job at Hooters with her.  She said that I would for sure get a lot of tips because my boobs are so big.  Anyway, that's beside the point.  I just thought it was funny.  I never felt good about myself.  I didn't think I was pretty or attractive at all, so it was weird to me that Emily (this pretty, skinny blond girl) thought that I was in the same league as her.
Okay, back to the story.  I never felt comfortable being there alone.  I always had this creepy feeling like I was being watched.  Since I felt that way so often, I thought it must be my imagination, so I did my best to ignore that feeling.
One night, Roger (my boyfriend at the time - now my husband) and I were in my bedroom.  We were sitting on the bed talking.  While we were talking, I looked over at the window.  The blinds were closed, but there was one part of the blinds that was broken off.  My eye was drawn towards that spot of the window.  I stared at it for a minute, then I realized that I was seeing eyes, staring in at me through the broken blinds.  My first thought was, "What one of my friends is playing a trick on me?"  So, I pointed to the window and said, "Who is that?" I was racking my brain trying to think of what friend was outside trying to scare me.  When Roger looked and saw the eyes, he new instantly that it was bad news.  He jump up, very angrily, went to the window, and threw open the blinds!  He was pretty angry, yelling and swearing as he went.  The guy jumped up!  Roger started yelling and swearing at him through the window.  Then the guy took off running and Roger went racing out after him.
I was left sitting there almost in shock.  I had thought it was a friend teasing me and it totally freaked me out that it was actually something bad.  It was hard for my brain to process.  I was extremely upset sitting there thinking about all of the times that I felt like I was being watched and realizing all of those times that I actually was being watched.  I felt horrified at all that he had seen.  Roger came back in a little while later.  He hadn't been able to catch the guy.  I can't remember if we called the police or not.  The next day, Emily talked to the apartment managers and they promised to up the security in our area.
About a week later, after a date with Roger, I was coming home around 1:30am.  Normally Roger would drive, so he would walk me to the door then head home, but this night, I had driven.  That meant I would have to walk to the door alone.  I was really nervous about doing that, so I called Emily to see if she was awake and ask if she would meet me in the parking lot, so I wouldn't have to walk in by myself.  She wasn't a big scaredy cat like I was.  Luckily, she was awake.  She had just gotten home and she still had some stuff in her car that she needed to bring in.  So, she met me out in the parking lot and I helped her carry her stuff in.  As we were walking in, some guy rode past us on a bike.  He came right toward us and stared at us as he passed.  We thought that was weird, because it was almost 2:00 in the morning and a weird time to be out riding your bike.  We wondered if he was the peeping tom.
We hurried inside and I helped Emily put her things away.  While we were doing that, There was a knock at the door.  It was 2:00 in the morning at this point and we weren't expecting anybody.  I was really freaked out.  I told Emily not to answer, but she wanted to.  She locked the lock at the top of the door that allows you to open the door a little, but keeps it from opening all the way.  She peeked out and didn't see anybody.  So, she opened it all the way to get a better look.  Nobody was there.  She came back in and locked the door.  We tried to brush it off by saying things like, "Maybe it was someone who got the wrong apartment and when they realized the hurried off because they were embarrassed."  Deep down, neither of us really believed it.  We both felt really scared.  We were nervous to go to bed.  I wanted Emily to sleep in the living room with me, so we didn't have to go off to our rooms alone.  Emily, had a really nice bed and din't want to sleep in the living room.  She wanted me to sleep in her room with her, but I felt to weird about that.  So, we decided to just go to our own rooms and go to bed.
As I was in the bathroom getting ready for bed, I had that creepy feeling that I was being watched again.  I really hoped I was wrong and that it was just my imagination.  I finished getting ready and went into my room.  I had a whole routine that I did, where I checked under the bed, on the side of the bed, and in my closet before I locked the door and ran and jumped onto my bed.  I was just funny like that.  I still am.  Haha.  Anyway, I jumped onto my bed, climbed under the covers and took one more look around before laying down.  I looked over at the window and was horrified to see the eyes staring at me through the broken blinds!  This time I was alone and I knew that it was a bad guy out there.  I freaked out!  I jumped out of bed and ran to my bedroom door, yelling, "Emily!  Emily!  He's back!  Emily! Emily! Emily!"  I was so scared and was shaking so bad that I couldn't get my hands to unlock the bedroom door.  So, I was struggling with the lock and trying desperately to get out of the room.  All the while, yelling in a panic for Emily to help me!  She was on the other side of the door now, screaming also as she tried to help me open the door.  I just kept imagining him, breaking through the window and attacking me or something horrible like that!  I finally got the door unlocked and ran out of my room.  
We hugged each other and raced into the living room screaming and crying.  We were both shaking so bad as we grabbed the phone and found a place to hide.  We sat huddled together, squished between the wall and the side of the couch, as Emily called for help.  They told us to stay put and that the police were on their way.  We sat there, talking about how scary this was and wondering who else we could call to come and save us.  I had left my cell phone out in my car and I didn't have any phone numbers memorized, so I couldn't call anybody I knew.  Emily, was also without her cell phone, but she knew the number for some of her family members.  She was fighting with them at this time, so she didn't want to call any of them.
Suddenly, in the middle of our conversation, it was like somebody flipped a switch in Emily's brain.  We were huddled together talking about how scared we were, when all of the sudden, she jumped up.  She no longer looked afraid.  She was angry!  She jumped up and exclaimed, "This isn't right!  We shouldn't be stuck hiding like this!  It's not fair!  Just because we're blond... and we're pretty.... and we have big boobs!"  I was shocked.  I didn't know what to say or how to react.  I was kind of scared at what Emily was going to do.  Emily looked at me and said, "We shouldn't be hiding.  I bet that little piece of *&%^#5 is still out there!"  Then she did the unthinkable!  She started at one end of the room and started flinging the blinds open one by one as she continued with her angry speech saying, "He probably is getting a kick out of watching us all scared and huddling in the corner!"  Right as she finished saying that, she flung open another blind and, sure enough, he was standing there, staring at us!  She stared right back, then started yelling and screaming at him through the window about what a piece of *&^#$ he is and how she was going to get him.
Then, she took off running out the door to go and get him!  I was still huddling in the corner, terrified at what was happening.  I didn't know what to do.  I thought Emily had gone crazy and I was so scared of that guy, I didn't know if I could save her from him.  I stood up, thinking that I needed to save her, but I was almost too scared to move.  I stood there, kind of frozen, in the middle of the living room, in between the couch and the door, trying to figure out what to do.  Then Emily came back in.  She was shaking really bad and she was dragging a bike behind her.  She exclaimed, "I got his bike!"  We dragged his bike in and locked the door again.  She said that it was the guy we saw on the bike.  When she ran out there, he just stood there staring at her.  Then when he saw the look in her eyes, he decided to run.  But he had to run toward her  a little to get to his bike.  She saw that he was running toward his bike and decided to run and grab it before him.  She grabbed it first and just glared at him.  He turned around and took off running.
Shortly after Emily came back in with his bike, the police came.  We gave them his bike and did our best to describe what he looked like.  Then the police officer, walked me to my car so I could get my cell phone.  All the while, lecturing me about what  bad idea it is to leave your phone in your car.  I called Roger and told him what had happened.  He came to stay the rest of the night with us, so we could get some sleep.

No comments: