My dad worked so hard to provide for us and he gave us such a wonderful life. Because he worked so hard, my mom was able to be at home and take care of us and we had a wonderful childhood. I have many fond memories of my dad. Especially from my teenage years. Some of my favorites are:
------The times that we sat out on the porch with my mom and dad and listened to them reminisce about their childhoods. They both lived in the same neighborhood that I grew up in. It was fun to hear them talk and fun to be where they were when these things had happened years before. I loved hearing about how they started dating and about how when my dad asked my mom to marry him, she thought he was taking her out on a drive to break up with her. Another funny was how My dad's father would make a loud sound (I think it was a whistle - but I can't remember at the moment) when it was time for his kids to come home. Everybody in the neighborhood knew that it was time for the Bone children to go home when they heard that sound. Also, how my mom and her siblings all have "onnie" in their name, so when her parents would yell for one of them, they would all come running, because they weren't sure what name they had said. Their names are Connie, Bonnie, Lonnie, Johnny, Donnie, and Ronnie (I'm not sure of the spelling).
------We went on a lot of fun vacations together. Every year we went to Montana and Disneyland. In my teenage years, we went on a lot more adventures. We went on a big trip in the 5th wheel, where we went to Montana, Washington, Oregon, and South Dakota. I also remember a fun hiking trip we took in the Moab area. On the way home from that trip, we pulled over to use the bathroom and eat some lunch in the 5th wheel. While we were at the table eating, we all of the sudden noticed all of the cars had started driving in reverse and were backing up behind us. We went out to see what was happening. A large truck filled with something flammable had gotten into a crash and all the people were trying to get away in case it exploded. We were stuck where we were parked. The truck didn't explode and even though we were only an hour away from home, it took us over 3 hours to get home after that. We had to be rerouted to get past the accident.
------ I loved every Christmas. My dad gave us amazing Christmas'. Every Christmas was my favorite. I have such fond memories of sitting in the Family room with my family. We'd have all the lights out in the house except for the Christmas tree lights. We would hear the story of Jesus' birth and we would spend time talking and sharing memories and experiences from our favorite Christmas. I loved that time sooo much! I can't remember if this is when dad told us about the year his family got an over sized Christmas tree and put it in their front window. They cut the top of the tree off and put it on the roof of the house, so it looked like the tree was going through the roof.
------One of my favorite memories of my dad happened when I was going to Dixie College. My parents had moved and were living in Harrisburg, near St.George. I was visiting with them and my dad wanted to go on a bike ride. My dad and I were going to go on a bike ride together. I was so excited, because I don't usually get daddy daughter time, with just me. That's what made this so special. I think we rode our bikes to Silver Reef to some old mines. We could see Red Cliffs from where we were on our bikes and we wondered if instead of turning around and riding back the way we came, we could just head to Redcliffs and get home faster that way. I love adventuring, so I thought that sounded like fun. I don't remember all of the details of our trip, but I remember getting in an area where we couldn't ride our bikes anymore. We were hiking through thick brush and carrying our bikes with us. There was even a stream we had to cross at one point. Dad felt so bad for taking me through all of that. He was so worried about how I was doing. He kept asking if I was okay and apologizing. I kept telling him I was okay and to stop feeling bad. I love that kind of adventuring! I love adventures like that that leave you with a story to tell afterward. I was just so excited to be spending time with my dad, doing something I enjoyed. We eventually made it to the road we were trying to get to and road back home safely. When we got home, we had an exciting story to tell about our adventure. I wish I could remember more of the details of our adventure, so I could share that with you now. The thing I remember is how happy I was to be out adventuring with my dad! Thank you for that fun memory dad.
Thank you for all that you have given me. You have always worked so hard to take care of us all and I am eternally grateful for all that you have done for me. I can definitely say that I have had a wonderful life because of you. Thank you for being such a great man. I love you.
Here's a picture of my dad holding a fish and my younger sister Kristy.

No comments:
Post a Comment